I’ve been following a vegan diet for 28 days and have lost just over 10 pounds. I stopped taking my Flonaise allergy medicine and my steroid inhaler. I don’t have any joint pain and I am saving money at the grocery store. Essentially, after following (or trying to follow) a high fat, low carb diet, I am learning that carbs are my friend. They are the best food friend I have ever had.
This is the McDougall Diet – a diet based on eating starch at every meal. You should see Dr. John McDougall. He is 70 years old and looks amazing! As typical with a vegan diet, all animal products are eliminated. Oils/fats are eliminated as well. I haven’t been counting calories. I haven’t been deprived. What could be better than eating potatoes, corn, beans, rice, cold cereals, hot cereals? I am having real brown sugar on my oatmeal! Hurrah! I am eating pretzels! Shazam! I am eating bowls full of pasta and big hunks of banana bread! There is no need to eat only low carb fruit and vegetables – no restrictions there – except for avocado, which is high in fat. This is heaven on earth!
Big day for me yesterday. I served my favorite type of birthday cake for Ryan’s birthday – gold with traditional frosting – an extremely high fat, high sugar treat that has been my addiction since I was old enough to eat solid food. It also contains animal products – butter, eggs, milk. There I was, alone in the kitchen – everyone had left, no one was watching. I was tempted, so tempted. I covered that nasty cake with tin foil, grabbed my two hunks of banana bread and just walked away. See, I was prepared with the banana bread – the healthy option. I weighed myself this morning. I lost two pounds! No kidding!
This Mexican Black Bean and Brown Rice Salad is on my menu. It is excellent cold by itself for lunch, or on the side with a vegan veggie burger. There are no added oils, so other than the minimal, naturally occurring fat in the foods, consider this “fat free”. Bring it to a cookout and watch it disappear!
Mexican Black Bean and Brown Rice Salad
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/3 red onion, diced
- small jalapeño, diced small (optional)
- 1 tsp.garlic, minced
- pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by cooking the brown rice. Follow directions on the package.
- In a saucepan, heat the vegetable broth (or water) and sauté the onion, jalapeño, garlic, sea salt and pepper for 5 minutes on medium heat, adding a little extra broth or water, if needed. Next, add bell peppers and cook 5-7 minutes until soft. Reduce heat, then stir in the corn, black beans and cilantro, just to be heated up.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice and sautéed veggies.
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients for the ‘Fiesta Lime Sauce’ until well combined. Pour into bowl then mix it all together.
- Can be eaten warm or cold.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 5 days.
This post and blog contain affiliate links and ads which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and make a purchase. Any information on this website is not meant to treat or diagnose any medical condition. Please consult your doctor for medical advice. Full Disclosure Policy, Legal Clause, and Terms and Conditions – Click HERE.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.