I love the taste of baked beans, but if you heat and serve them by the can, they have lots of added sugar and are fairly calorie dense. I never thought to make a soup using canned baked beans, but what a great idea! I can enjoy the flavor of baked beans in soup form, which has less sugar per serving when you consider the added ingredients. Not only that, but this soup contains lots of fiber, healthy tomatoes and chilies and has a Mexican flare with that little kick from the added chili powder.
Thanks to Martha at Simple Nourished Living for posting this super simple, yet flavorful recipe. She used baked beans that she made from scratch, but I thought I would look for canned baked beans with the lowest amount of sugar per serving to try in this recipe. I found B&M Original had the lowest sugar content at 9 grams a serving. I compared them to other brands on the shelf. For those following Weight Watchers, I calculated this soup and it is 4 Smart Points for 1 cup.
Crock Pot Baked Bean Soup
- 1 can of B&M Baked Beans Original (16 oz.)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (7 ounces) chopped green chilis
- 2 cups water
- 1 -2 teaspoons chili powder
- I used my 3 in 1 Ninja Cooking System, but you may use a smaller unit like a 2 or 3 quart slow cooker/crock pot for this recipe.
- Put the baked beans, onion, celery, tomatoes, water and chili powder in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- I served this as is, but you could remove 1/2 of the soup and blend it for a thicker, creamier consistency.
Yield – 6 servings (1 cup each)
*4 Weight Watchers Smart Points per 1 cup serving calculated using the recipe builder at WeightWatchers.com.
Adapted from Simple Nourished Living.
This post and blog contain affiliate links and ads which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and make a purchase. Any information on this website is not meant to treat or diagnose any medical condition. Please consult your doctor for medical advice. Full Disclosure Policy, Legal Clause, and Terms and Conditions – Click HERE.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.