While it’s true that the once traditional “nuclear” family has evolved into a kaleidoscope of possibilities—start with parents (maybe two dads, a single mom, or a stay at home dad…), add step or adopted siblings, and a side of grandparents and you’ve got a modern family!
As far as my family is concerned, we would be considered a traditional “nuclear” family and I am proud of that. Grant and I have been married for 17 years. Grant works full time and I stay home with the kids. (I work part time now, but I am still home with them after school and during the summer. I feel very fortunate to be able to stay home with them. I wouldn’t change that for the world.
We are a modern family in terms of raising children during the age of electronics. What I love about my modern age family is that we have been able to find balance in the digital age. So, yes, we love our laptops, iPods, iPhones, Ipads video games and of course watching Netflix on any and all of those devices. However, we are also a family that stays active and participates in many other activities.
We run, bike and hike. The boys play basketball, soccer and James participates in Track and Field. James has also starred in the school play and plays in the school band, jazz band and marching band. He also gets honor roll every semester. Ryan loves animals and volunteers at the animal shelter.
He just started taking horseback riding lessons. (Something I love to do as well.) He also started taking swimming lessons and loves to swim at the YMCA as often as I will take him.He loves archery and is showing an interest in playing the bass guitar as well. So, it’s not all about the electronics. 🙂
Grace and Frankie on Netflix
Circling back to the topic of the modern family, Netflix has a new show called Grace and Frankie that really puts the “Modern” in Modern family! Here’s a bit more about this new, funny show now streaming on Netflix:
Grace and Frankie, Netflix’s new funny and fearless original comedy featuring Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston, is a perfect example of how today’s families can shift, rearrange and blend in unexpected ways. When Grace and Frankie’s husbands leave them after 20 years of marriage—to be with each other—the women find themselves facing a change that they never expected, but they shift their perspective to get through it together with the support of their new blended family and, of course, a sense of humor.
I haven’t had a chance to catch the first episode yet, but plan on watching! Have you seen Grace and Frankie? Let me know what you think about the show!
The theme for May is the modern family. These shows for all ages now streaming on Netflix have the modern family as a theme.
Family is what you make it!
For Little Kids
For Your Bigger Kids
New on Netflix for Kids and Families
1. All Hail King Julien (new episodes 4/3)
2. Littlest Pet Shop: Season 3 (4/21)
3. Lalaloopsy: Festival of Sugary Sweets (5/2)
4. Puss in Boots (new episodes 5/8)
5. H20 Mermaid Adventures (5/22)
6. Richie Rich: Season 2 (5/22)
7. Mako Mermaids: Season 3 (5/29)
- Streaming – Movies and TV shows are instantly streamed (not downloaded) via a Netflix-ready device. On the go or snuggled together in the family room, families can watch what they want, anytime, anywhere with Netflix.
- Where to watch Netflix-You can get instant access to Netflix on hundreds of devices, including TVs, tablets, mobile devices, game consoles and computers.
- Where to find TV Shows and Movies for Kids-With Netflix, you have the power to choose what your kids are watching. There’s even a dedicated section for kids where the only titles you’ll have access to are pre-screened and appropriate for kids aged 2-12. Netflix works with Common Sense Media to provide ratings, reviews and information so parents can easily make choices for their children.
- Individual Profiles for personalize suggestions –Members can create individual profiles within a single Netflix account, allowing everyone to have their own personalized suggestions based on what they watch and rate.
I am a member of the Net Flix Stream Team and share family-friendly programming, activities, reviews and giveaways on behalf of Netflix. I received a welcome kit which includes a year’s subscription to Netflix. Opinions expressed are my own.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.