We save money on our car insurance because we “bundle” our insurance under one carrier. This group discount is 9%. We are also entitled to a companion policy credit because we have term life through SBLI and use their car and home insurance carriers, we get a 14% break on the price. Did you know that you may be eligible for some discounts that your agent may not have told you about? Here are the top ten tips to save on car insurance:
1. Bundling your insurances with one carrier.
2. Multi-car – insuring more than one car.
3. Low Annual Mileage – driving few miles each year.
4. Merit Rating Plan – downward adjustments (with my insurer) result from 5 or 6 years of incident free driving; however other insurance carriers adjust with only 3 years of incident free driving. We are state-best “99” drivers and receive a nice discount for our good records.
5. Taking a driving training course or a defensive driving course. Grant took a motorcycle safety course and we save on his motorcycle insurance every year.
6. Car safety features – having anti-lock breaks, air bags, or daytime running lights. Anti theft devices qualify too! According to my agent, this discount is calculated through your car’s vin number.
7. Being over 55 years. Another common criteria for this discount is that you are not currently seeking full time employment.
8. Teen drivers! Yes, even your teen driver can save on car insurance by being a student with good grades According to DMV.org, statistics show that students who get good grades are less likely to get into a car accident, car insurance companies see them as lower risk and, in turn, offer savings on their rates.
9. EZ pay plan – set up automatic withdrawals to save off premiums. Pay your policy in full and save even more.
10. Go Paperless – view all your insurance documents online.
It pays to call and check on these things! You never know what “mistakes” you may find. My husband was listed on this year’s policy as having only his motorcycle permit. That was incorrect as he has his license. We will receive a $23 credit. Also, if I visit my insurance carrier’s website and opt into e-documents, I will save another $40 a year. It all adds up!
Are you taking advantage of all of these savings with your car insurance company?
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.