Now that we are spending our days in the sun, having lots of sunscreen on-hand to apply is vital to protecting our skin from the sun’s damaging rays. My son Ryan looked at my back and said, “Wow, you have freckles all over!” Yes, thanks to my fair skin, I have tons of freckles all over! I recently had those freckles checked at a skin cancer screening, and I am happy to report all of my freckles and moles are “normal”.
Free Skin Cancer Scans
The American Academy of Dermatology has a national skin cancer screening program that is free to the public and offered throughout the year. You can search the website by city and state and sign up for free alerts when a screening is available near you. The AAD website shows you how to perform a self exam, There is even a quiz to take called Spot Skin Cancer.
Top 6 Tips for Kids Summer Skin Care
Here are the American Academy of Dermatology’s top six tips for kids summer skin care.
- Use of a broad-spectrum sunscreen that offers a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30 or higher, regularly.
- Select a physical or chemical-free sunscreen with the ingredients zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, if your child is prone to skin irritation or allergic reactions,
- Reapply sunscreen approximately every two hours, even on cloudy days, and after swimming or sweating.
- Wear protective clothing, such as a long-sleeved shirt, pants, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses, where possible.
- Seek shade when appropriate, and remember that the sun’s rays are strongest between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Use extra caution near water, snow, and sand because they reflect the damaging rays of the sun, which can increase your chance of sunburn.
Source – American Academy of Dermatology
Enjoy your summer by having fun-in-the-sun, just don’t forget the sunscreen!
This post and blog contain affiliate links and ads which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and make a purchase. Any information on this website is not meant to treat or diagnose any medical condition. Please consult your doctor for medical advice. Full Disclosure Policy, Legal Clause, and Terms and Conditions – Click HERE.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.