I find soup to be a filling addition to a meal. When I add a cup to lunch, it helps to tie me over until later in the afternoon.
I found this recipe on Hungry Girl and I modified it by doubling her recipe, creating smaller (1 cup) portions) and excluding the corn taco shell.By doing this, I have about a week’s amount of soup to add to my lunch. But now that I think of it, I should change the name to just Mexican Soup since I’ve removed the taco shell from my version.
I do add a tablespoon of reduced fat Mexican cheese, but those calories are extra and not part of the recipe analysis. Feel free to add whatever you like, just count those calories if you happen to be counting calories. If you aren’t and you like Mexican type fare, you will like this recipe too.
Mexican Taco Soup Low Calorie Recipe
Yield – Six 1 cup servings
Per the recipe tool on My Fitness Pal – 111 calories, 2 grams fat, 8 carbs, 1 gram Fiber, 12 grams protein
- 4.0 tbsp(s), Onion Raw Chopped 1/2 Cup
- 1.0 cup(s), Celery, Raw, Chopped
- 8.0 oz(s), Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 2.0 tsp(s), Chopped Garlic
- 2.0 tsp(s), Taco Seasoning Mix ( I used 40% reduced sodium).
- 4.0 cup(s), Vegetable Broth (Beef or Chicken broth is fine too.)
- 1.0 cup(s), Chopped Tomatoes
- 0.5 cup(s), Frozen Kernel Corn
- 1.0 tsp(s), Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend – Salt-Free
- Optional add 1 Tbsp. of reduced fat Mexican Cheese (add extra calories for this!)
Bring a medium pot sprayed with nonstick spray to medium high heat. Cook and stir onion and celery until browned, about 3 minutes. Add beef, garlic, and 1 tsp. taco seasoning, and cook and crumble until beef is fully cooked and veggies have softened, about 3 minutes.
Add broth, tomato, corn, salt-free seasoning, and remaining 1 tsp. of taco seasoning. Bring to a boil.
Reduce to heat to simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until veggies are soft.
Serve hot with a bit of Mexican cheese on top!
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.