Is your New Year’s resolution to eat healthier and lose a few pounds? Well, what’s nice about this soup recipe is that no matter what diet you are following, vegetables should be on your daily menu. The experts recommend that we eat five to seven servings of vegetables a day!
I was surfing the net looking for a good low cal. vegetable soup recipe. Did you know that Dolly Parton has a Basic Fat Burning Soup recipe that she uses in conjunction with her own Fat Burning Diet Program? The soup can be eaten any time you feel hungry and you may eat as much as you wish.
I also came across Kann Wilson’s Garden Vegetable Soup posted on Food.com. This recipe is very similar to the Weight Watchers soup recipe and I noticed it received an average rating of 5 out of 5 stars on 42 reviews. According to Weight Watchers, many people that follow the program say that the WW soup is the secret to their weight-loss success.
All of the above mentioned recipes are very similar garden vegetable soups. The following recipe is a spicy variation with fresh spinach.
Recipe: Spicy Garden Vegetable Soup
- 2/3 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups fat free vegetable broth
- 1 cup Spicy Hot V-8 Juice
- 1 1/2 cups diced green cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach chopped into strips
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the carrots, onion, garlic and celery until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, V-8 juice, cabbage and seasonings.
- Simmer on low heat covered about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and heat for about 2 -3 minutes.
- Serve hot sprinkled with Parmesan cheese
This recipe is a variation on the Weight Watchers vegetable soup recipe, however I substituted the V-8 juice for the tomato paste and 1 cup of broth. Also, instead of zucchini, I added fresh spinach and omitted green beans. This soup would not be considered “zero points” due to the olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
For a thicker consistency, use an immersion blender to puree the soup. You may substitute other vegetables that you have on hand, like zucchini, peppers or green beans. Also reduce the sodium by using reduced sodium vegetable broth and V-8 juice.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.