With Memorial Day around the corner, New York Times best selling author of The Beauty Detox Foods and celebrity nutritionist, Kimberly Snyder has supplied this yummy and super healthy Quinoa, Avocado and Corn Salad recipe. This summer salad is easy to pack for that kickoff summer party or BBQ.
I’ve seen and heard that quinoa is good for you. I tried it once and thought it was “ok”. When I considered this recipe with quinoa, with the combination of creamy avocado, flavorful corn and a nice dressing, I figured this is a very yummy way to get some quinoa into my diet! I look forward to trying it.
Benefits of Quinoa
According to *Wikipedia, quinoa is actually considered a “superfood.” Quinoa is high in protein. In fact, it’s a source of complete protein because it contains all nine essential amino acids. Quinoa is also a great source of dietary fiber, containing twice as much as most other grains. Quinoa also contains phosphorus, magnesium and iron. As if that wasn’t enough, quinoa is a gluten-free food that also contains calcium, which is useful for vegans and those who are lactose intolerant. *Source – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa
Celeb Nutritionist Kimberly Snyder’s Quinoa, Avocado and Corn Salad
The only pre-prep with this dish is to be sure to soak the quinoa overnight. Finalize the rest of the recipe in the morning or early afternoon. It tastes great at room temperature, so it’s perfect to bring to the barbeque, pool party, park or beach!
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ cups dry quinoa
- Raw kernels or 2 ears of organic corn (preferably white, if available), shaved right from the cob
- 2 avocados, sliced and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped red onion
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. Bragg Liquid Aminos or low-sodium tamari
- 1 Tbs. brown rice vinegar
*Be sure to soak the quinoa overnight in water and rinse well before using.
- In a saucepan bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat, add quinoa and simmer until the water is absorbed and the grains become translucent and soft (about 10 to 15 minutes). Pour the quinoa through a strainer and set it to the side in a bowl.
- Blend all the dressing ingredients together in a blender until smooth, or simply add them to a small bowl and whisk well with a fork.
- Add the kernels of corn to the quinoa, along with the avocado and chopped onion. Mix well. Pour the dressing on top of the mixture and mix well again.
If you’ve tried quinoa, how do you like to eat it? Let me know if you plan on trying this recipe!
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.