My Mom had this wonderful Blackberry Upside-Down cake at a dinner party given by her friend and co-worker K.C. She gave me the recipe and K.C.’s permission to share it with you!
I describe it as moist, flavorful and surprisingly easy. Okay, I did have Mom’s help. Just make sure you have a springform pan and parchment paper on hand. Oh, and vanilla ice cream is a must!
K.C.’s Blackberry Upside-Down Cake
- 2 1/2 cups of fresh blackberries (12 oz.)
- 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar (separated)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a buttered 8 x 2 inch round springform cake pan with 2 layers of parchment paper, then butter parchment. Dust pan with some flour and knock out excess.
- Arrange blackberries in 1 layer in cake pan. Sprinkle berries with 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar and shake pan to distribute sugar.
- Whisk together 1 cup flour, baking soda and salt in bowl.
- Beat together butter and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and mix at low speed until just incorporated.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk in 3 batches, mixing at low speed until just incorporated.
- Spoon batter evenly over berries, smoothing top.
- Bake in the middle of oven until top is golden and a tester comes out clean – 30 to 35 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around edge, then invert a large plate over pan and hold plate and pan together tightly, flip cake onto plate.
- Peel off parchment and serve cake warm with ice cream.
Kristi Maloney is a work from home mom to two boys ages 10 and 13. Since 2009, she has featured in-depth product, and book reviews and hosted high-quality, exciting giveaways on her blog Moms Own Words. When she is not blogging, you can find her working at her son’s school, or behind the wheel of her car in the roll of “taxi driver”. Email at maloney(dot)Kristi@gmail(dot)com.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.