My Mom had this wonderful Blackberry Upside-Down cake at a dinner party given by her friend and co-worker K.C. She gave me the recipe and K.C.’s permission to share it with you!
I describe it as moist, flavorful and surprisingly easy. Okay, I did have Mom’s help. Just make sure you have a springform pan and parchment paper on hand. Oh, and vanilla ice cream is a must!
K.C.’s Blackberry Upside-Down Cake
- 2 1/2 cups of fresh blackberries (12 oz.)
- 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar (separated)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a buttered 8 x 2 inch round springform cake pan with 2 layers of parchment paper, then butter parchment. Dust pan with some flour and knock out excess.
- Arrange blackberries in 1 layer in cake pan. Sprinkle berries with 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar and shake pan to distribute sugar.
- Whisk together 1 cup flour, baking soda and salt in bowl.
- Beat together butter and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and mix at low speed until just incorporated.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk in 3 batches, mixing at low speed until just incorporated.
- Spoon batter evenly over berries, smoothing top.
- Bake in the middle of oven until top is golden and a tester comes out clean – 30 to 35 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around edge, then invert a large plate over pan and hold plate and pan together tightly, flip cake onto plate.
- Peel off parchment and serve cake warm with ice cream.