I am still at it – still following Weight Watchers. I am down 20 lbs. but wouldn’t mind losing about 20 more. As you may know, the more you lose the harder it gets. It really is a change for life that requires making and eating healthy recipes most days of the week.
This is my first attempt at making my own black bean burgers. Come to find out, it’s pretty darn easy. If you like make-ahead meals, this one is make-ahead by default. The burgers are easier to handle when frozen for a couple of hours, so for best results, freeze and eat as needed per the instructions. When you think about it, it’s the same with store-bought veggie burgers – they are kept frozen until you are ready to cook them.
How did they taste? I loved them! After freezing, these are easy to handle and cook up nice and easy in a frying pan on the stove. I am sure you could grill them indoors or out for a nice char grilled flavor.
Stay tuned for Weight Watchers Smart Ones Giveaway! One reader will win four free product coupons for Weight Watchers meals!
Weight Watchers Black Bean Burger Recipe
Adapted from Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 4 Size: 1 PointsPlus 4 (patty alone no bun or cheese)
- 16 oz canned black beans
- 1/2 cup(s) sweet red pepper(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked scallion(s)
- 1/2 cup zucchini shredded
- 3 Tbsp cilantro
- 3 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s)
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Hot Cereal, Oat Bran (or equivalent)
1. Drain and rinse the beans and dry them well. (The extra moisture will keep the burgers from sticking when forming.) In a medium bowl, mash beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
2. In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, cilantro, scallions, zucchini, and garlic. Next, add the oat bran cereal, eggs and spices to this and chop. Then, stir this mixture into the mashed beans.
3. Divide mixture into four equal-sized patties and place them onto a baking sheet covered with wax or freezer paper. If the mixture is too wet, chill the mixture 30 minutes in the refrigerator or add a tbsp. or less of the oat bran cereal.
4. Freeze right on the baking sheet for 2 hours before cooking or keep frozen until ready to cook.
5. Heat a lightly sprayed skillet to medium heat and cook frozen burgers about 5 to 7 minutes on each side.
6. Place the remaining burgers in either a plastic container on in a freezer bag with waxed or freezer paper between each burger.
Notes – I had my burger on 1/2 of Joseph’s Flat Bread for 1 PointsPlus and a slice of Weight Watchers reduced fat singles American Cheese for 1 PointsPlus. The total for the meal shown above is 6 PointsPlus.
Kristi Maloney is a work from home mom to two boys ages 10 and 13. Since 2009, she has featured in-depth product, and book reviews and hosted high-quality, exciting giveaways on her blog Moms Own Words. When she is not blogging, you can find her working at her son’s school, or behind the wheel of her car in the roll of “taxi driver”. Email at maloney(dot)Kristi@gmail(dot)com.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.