Frittatas are a great way to eat quality protein (eggs) combined with a good helping of vegetables. This recipe uses in season produce like tomatoes, summer squash and even scallions! (I cut and used my own scallions from my garden – my tomatoes are not quite ready yet.) The variety of colors for the vegetables adds visual appeal and a good range of phytochemicals.
The Digest Diet Book recipes focus on foods that, according to studies, are proven fat releasers. These are the best foods that release fat and aid in weight loss. This recipe contains nine fat releasers and they are: tomatoes, olive oil, scallions, squash, egg, Parmesan cheese, parsley and black pepper. For my recipe, I’ll call it ten fat releasers because I added 1/2 small vidalia onion, chopped.
Hands on Time – 25 minutes, Total Time 35 minutes, Makes 4 servings.
Tri-Color Frittata Recipe
- 4 large plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound yellow squash cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 4 larges eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 ounce Parmesan Cheese, very finely grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the broiler
2. Scoop out the seeds from the insdies of the tomatoes and cut the shells into 1/4 -inch thick strips.
3. In a medium (10-inch) ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the tomatoes, scallions, and squash and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and most of the juices have evaporated, about 10 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole eggs and egg whites until blended, then whisk in the Parmesan, parsley, pepper, and salt. Pour the mixture over the vegetables and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the eggs are almost set on top but still runny, about 10 minutes.
5. Transfer the skillet to the oven and broil 5 to 6 inches from the heat just until the top is set and golden, about 2 minutes.
Per Serving – 204 Calories, 15 grams protein, 12 grams fat (3.5 saturated), 3 grams fiber, 157 mg calcium, 36 mg vitamin C, 10 grams carbohydrate, 318 mg sodium.
This recipe is featured in the Main Course Recipe section of The Digest Diet – Reader’s Digest Release Fat in 21 days!
This recipe was shared on Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms Melt in Your Mouth Monday blog hop!
This post and blog contain affiliate links and ads which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and make a purchase. Any information on this website is not meant to treat or diagnose any medical condition. Please consult your doctor for medical advice. Full Disclosure Policy, Legal Clause, and Terms and Conditions – Click HERE.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.