Whether you are following a weight loss plan like Weight Watchers or just want a go-to cookbook that allows you to eat well and maintain a healthy lifestyle, the Better Homes and Gardens: Ultimate Low-Calorie Cookbook is for you!
Chocolate Torte Recipe
This recipe is featured in the Better Homes and Gardens The Ultimate Low-Calorie Book and is reprinted with permission from John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 2012.
Prep. – 25 min. Bake – 25 min. Oven – 350 degrees Makes 12 servings
3/4 cup fat-free milk
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
3 egg whites
non-stick cooking spray
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup sliced almonds (I omitted the almonds)
1 to 2 teaspoons powdered sugar (optional)
1. In a small saucepan combine milk and cocoa powder. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Whisk in unsweetened chocolate and vinegar until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat an 8 x 2-inch round tart pan with removable bottom or 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, the 2/3 cup granulated sugar, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir cooled chocolate mixture into flour mixture until well combined (batter will be thick); set aside.
3. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks from (tips curl). Gradually add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, about 1 Tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the remaining beaten egg whites just until combined. Spread batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle almonds over batter.
4. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cook in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run sharp thin-blade knife around edges; remove sides of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
5. If desired, sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar just before serving.
Nutritional Info. 144 cal., 4 total fat, (2 grams sat. fat) 9 mg chol, 81 mg sodium, 25 grams carb, 1 gram fiber, 4 grams protein. Makes 12 servings.
We thought this chocolate torte was good. The only problem was that I waited until that toothpick came out completely clean, and as a result, the torte was a little dry. This is a great recipe for a low calorie chocolate treat. I would make it again, but watch it like a hawk and try my best not to overcook it next time!
The BH&G the Ultimate low-calorie cookbook has over 400 healthy (family friendly!) recipes in 15 chapters including sandwiches and pizzas, main-dish salads, meat and poultry, sides and snacks. I like how the book includes slow cooker and make ahead meals also. This cookbook is perfect for those counting calories or following the Weight Watchers plan, like myself. I can easily convert the nutritional info. into PointsPlus. The page edges are color-coded, making it easy to reference, for example, all of the recipes in the slow cooker chapter.
There are more than 300 full color photos of over 400 light and healthy recipes. The first chapter is devoted to healthy eating habits and includes healthier ingredient options, tips for portion control and a BMI guide to determine BMI. These are all great features. I look forward to trying streusel-crunch French toast and ham and cheddar scones!
About Better Homes & Gardens Ultimate Low Calorie Cookbook
You’ll never run out of healthy, nutritious family meals with this extensive collection of low-calorie recipesNew in the Ultimate series, The Ultimate Low-Calorie Meals Book offers hundreds of recipes and ideas that make eating healthy and watching your weight easy and delicious. These recipes are ideal for light and nutritious everyday meals that form the basis of a healthy lifestyle. Filled with dishes the entire family will love, recipes are clearly marked with icons that let you quickly identify recipes that are ready in 30 minutes or less, high in fiber, and low in sodium.
Packed with more than 400 delicious and nutritious low-calorie meals and hundreds of beautiful photos, The Ultimate Low-Calorie Meals Book is a great resource at a great price.
- Features more than 400 flavorful calorie- and fat-conscious recipes, including main dishes, snacks, sandwiches, pizza, desserts, restaurant favorites, and make-ahead meals
- Includes more than 300 gorgeous full-color photographs that make every page inspiring and easy to follow
- Special Healthy Eating Basics chapter
- Special features include substitution charts that help make every meal more calorie-conscious, up-to-date diet and nutrition advice, and much more
Whether you’re trying to adopt new, low-calorie eating habits or looking for new recipes to help you maintain your already-healthy lifestyle, this is the ultimate guide to tasty, healthy eating.
This cookbook is available on Amazon.com for $13.17.
This giveaway is now over. Please check the right sidebar for a list of my current giveaways. Subscribe via email and never miss a giveaway. Thank you for visiting Moms Own Words.
The Better Homes and Gardens the Ultimate Low Calorie Book Giveaway One Moms Own Words reader will win a copy of this cookbook! Giveaway ends on May 1st, 11:59 PM EST. Open to US. Winners (18 or older) will be chosen by Random.org through Rafflecopter and contacted by email. Please respond in 48 hours or a new winner will be chosen. To be fair to everyone, comments not meeting requirements will be deleted. Thank you for entering and good luck!!
Please enter using the Rafflecopter form below.