I just love pizza. Pizza is one of those foods that could be very unhealthy – if made with white flour, heavy on the full-fat cheeses and meats or it could go the other way and be pretty healthy, if made with (whole grain) whole wheat flour, part-skim mozzarella, and plenty of colorful veggies sauteed in a bit of olive oil.
Making pizza at home saves money too! For this recipe you won’t be forced to take money out of your savings accounts just to pay for it.
What makes this dough a little different is the honey, which according to Wolfgang, “brings out a wonderful rich flavor in the crust.” He’s right. I’ve made this pizza dough recipe twice now, we love it!
Wolfgang’s recipe requires a food processor and extra time for letting the dough rest, however, I’ve eliminated those steps and this thin crust whole wheat pizza came out yummy just the same.
- 1 3/4 oz. package yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cool water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch salt
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add the honey and let sit for 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Put the flour in a large bowl.
- Mix the 1 cup cool water with the olive oil and salt.
- Pour the olive oil mixture and the yeast mixture slowly into the bowl.
- Mix with a large wooden spoon. Knead the dough until all ingredients are well mixed and the dough easily forms a ball.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until double in bulk (about 45 min. – 1 hour).
- Punch down the dough and knead it on a lightly floured surface for 1 minute.
- This is enough dough for two rather large thin crust pizzas. I rolled mine out onto two Pampered chef pizza stones – one 13″ and one 15″.
- To make small 7″ pizzas, divide dough into 4 equal parts.
- Build the pizza as desired. I sauteed red and green pepper and a sweet onion in olive oil. I topped the pizza with part-skim mozzarella and the sauteed veggies (no sauce). Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 min. until cheese is lightly browned.
Cooking time: 15-20 min.
Number of servings (yield): 12