Recipe: Baked Falafel
Summary: From the book Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Excerpted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright (c) 2010. www.dacapopressbooks.com
Be sure to enter the Appetite for Reduction Cookbook giveaway before it ends on July 17!
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small white onion, chopped roughly (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Several pinches of (freshly ground) black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pulse the chickpeas and garlic in a food processor. Add the onion, parsley, olive oil, and hot sauce, and blend until relatively smooth, scraping down the sides if necessary to make sure you get everything.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl. Mix in the 3 tablespoons of chickpea flour, cumin, coriander, paprika, baking powder, salt and pepper. The mixture shouldn’t be mushy but firm enough to shape into balls. If it doesn’t seem firm enough, add a tablespoon of chickpea flour.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Form the mixture into walnut-size balls, then flatten a bit into patties. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes; they should be browned on the underside. Remove the falafel from the oven, spray them with a little cooking spray, then flip the falafel and bake for 8 to 10 more minutes.
They’re now ready to serve; try some of these options for serving: arugula or other salad greens; chopped or sliced tomato; diced or sliced cucumber; sliced red onion; lemon wedges; chopped fresh parsley or cilantro; Kosher salt
Cooking time (duration): 25
Diet type: Vegan
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.